Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2009

#63 "Ajax Doorway", 9"x12" oil


Last week I spent 3 days in Port Townsend taking an oil painting class from Ken Spencer, a terrific painter and really good teacher. He paints all prima, meaning the first strokes are still wet when he puts on the last. My kind of painting. This was my first class in oil painting and I learned a great deal. The medium, of course, feels foreign to me. The feel of the paint is delicious, the brushes seem a bit like blunt instruments. I feel certain, with time, I will learn the properties of the paint and how to use the brushes. We painted outdoors for all three days. The weather was delicious. This is the Ajax Cafe in Port Hudson, a charming cafe with delicious food. It was hard being a beginner. I'm sure it was very good for me. I worked hard. The Ray for the Day is "Ajax Doorway".

1 comment:

Barbara Benedetti Newton said...

Phyllis, I love this! Especially the colors in the shadows. Bravo!