Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

#68 "The Staff of Life", oil, 18" x 20"


When I entered Joanne's house I was greeted with the fragrance of warm bread. My mouth watered. However, this loaf was not for lunch. It was part of our still life for the day. I didn't particularly like this set up when I began. It seemed so plain and so monochromatic. As I worked along I really got into both of those qualities. I feel the result to be quite warm and comforting. Perhaps that aroma of baking bread crept into the painting. This is my last painting for the year of 2009, and is my New Years painting. While making this painting I decided I would like to make paintings of food for awhile. I think this is the beginning of a new series. May the New Year sustain you like this warm loaf of bread, and may there also be sweetness in your life. The Ray for the Day is "The Staff of Life".

2 comments:

Barbara Benedetti Newton said...

I love your paintings in oil!
Happy New Year of painting to you.

Kendal and Jennifer said...

Gorgeous! I can taste the honey, the butter is retro chic, and the gleaming bits gleam. Great light. Love you.